Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feb 4 - Farewell, Florence!

4.2.2010

Clothes were DEFINITELY not dry when I woke up. I managed to expedite the process a bit by putting my jeans on the heating unit in the room ... but when I finally checked out of the room they were still quite wet ... and COLD!!! I made my way over to the Medici Chapels which were, true to my luck, under renovation, but still REALLY impressive. I have come to the conclusion that reliquaries are REALLY FREAKING CREEPY. Why on EARTH would you take the bones of a Saint and put it in a pretty jar and venerate it??? IT'S A LEG BONE!!!!!!!!!!! Or a thumb ... EW! Seriously, that just grosses me out. It's interesting from a theological point of view because it really show the Pagan influence on the early Church. Nowadays?? It's just plain gross!!!

Following that I wandered down to the Ponte Vecchio which is just gorgeous!! It's from the 13th century and is the ONLY bridge in Florence that wasn't blown up by the Nazi's in WWII. It USED to be home to butchers, but the Medici rulers didn't like the smell, so the butchers were ousted and jewelers were instituted. To this day, the bridge houses several gold and jewelry shops ... WAY too expensive for my budget, but REALLY nice to look at!!

I then headed to Palazzo Vecchio and walked around for a while. I really, REALLY love Florence. It's just such a great place!! Though I must say that I feel a bit like I'm in fairy tale land!!!! Everywhere I turn there are priceless works of art! There is sculpture EVERYWHERE!!! Street corners have cubby holes where paintings and sculptures are placed all OVER the city!!! The hostel I'm staying at is right around the corner from Casa Buonoroti!! Down the street in one direction is Santa Croce, in the other is Uffizi and Duomo! You can't BEAT this location!!! I kinda wish there had been a bit more insolation in the walls so that the noise from the street outside didn't sounds like it was in my bedroom, but still, nice location!

In a few hours it's off to Venice!!!!!!!! I'm really excited to see Belle and spend some time exploring with her!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment